The Third Space
Developing behavioural agility
Would you like to:
- Have a bad day and not take it home with you?
- Have a stressful meeting and not let that mood infect the next meeting?
- Endure a de-motivating set back yet still be able to attack your next task with optimism and enthusiasm?
“Work harder, Work longer” was an adage that was easy to subscribe to before your business was at full capacity. But this old business model just doesn’t cut it any more. The greatest challenge in business within the next decade is not the amount we have to do, as this shows no signs of lessening. Instead it’s the way we transition between tasks. Your job as a manager, your job as a leader, your job as a sales person is to adapt your behaviour to meet the needs of the next role/environment/task. However too often one setback, one bad meeting, can derail a persons day by having a domino effect that robs them, and your company, of energy and focus.
Dr Adam’s cutting edge research with Deakin University explored hundreds of people with demanding jobs, ranging from palliative care nurses to sales people to surgeons to leaders to special forces soldiers to elite athletes. What the high performers all had in common was that they used the Third Space toovercome setbacks and assume a mindset to get the most out of what is coming next.
The Third Space is the transitional gap between “what the hell just happened?” and “what’s next?. High performers use this space to decompress, jettison the negative and bring new focus and energy to the next task at hand.
In one study, when people used the Third Space between work and home it lead to a 41% improvement in work/life/balance.
In outlining The Third Space, Adam will bring to life his leading edge research and you’ll learn:
- How to use the Third Space to transition effectively between the different roles/environments and tasks that make up our day to get the maximum value from each.
- How to access your own Third Space to be resilient to any challenges just encountered. To reset and get back in an optimal state for high performance to take on the next task with a freshly focused and optimistic mindset.
- How to empower groups with tools to “Show up” at work fully responsible for the energy they bring to positively affect the behaviour and culture of the organisation.
- Proof of a direct correlation between truly engaging at work and the positive impact it has to an employee’s wellbeing and happiness.
- A simple three step process to perform on the way home from work to dramatically improve work life balance and overall happiness.
Click HERE to download a PDF on The Third Space.